Police inquiry deciding way forward
Crime & Courts / 15 Jan '13, 4:08pm
Cape Town - A commission of inquiry into claims of police inefficiency in Khayelitsha is planning its next move after a court ruling vindicated its establishment this week.
“The commission is currently considering the judgment of the (Western Cape High) Court and is taking advice from its legal team,” commission secretary Amanda Dissel said on Tuesday.
She said a statement would be sent out next week detailing further proceedings.
The court dismissed an application by Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa on Monday for an urgent interdict against the establishment of the commission.
Mthethwa last year argued Western Cape premier Helen Zille's decision to appoint the commission would have an impact on the independence of the SA Police Service (SAPS).
Zille established the commission in August last year following a spate of vigilante killings by Khayelitsha residents.
Its activities were put on hold in the face of the impending legal action, including a week of hearings set down for mid-November.
The commission had been due to complete its work and hand in a completed report by the end of February.
Mthethwa's spokesman Zweli Mnisi said on Tuesday that their legal team was studying the judgment, and would likely announce next week whether to uphold or appeal the ruling. - Sapa