Second case of Congo Fever reported
Free State / 14 Jan '13, 09:09am
Bloemfontein - Two cases of Congo Fever have been reported in the Bloemfontein area in the past week, Beeld reported on Monday.
Bloemfontein businessman Tommy Marx, 44, was in a critical condition in the Life-Rosepark Hospital after he contracted the virus on New Year's Day, after being bitten on one of his fingers by a Hyalomma tick.
File photo. Credit: sxc.hu
Johannes Ngwato, 47, an employee at the Kalkfontein Nature Reserve near Fauresmith, was discharged from hospital on Friday after spending 11 days in hospital being treated for the virus.
Marx's wife, Pikkie, said glands under her husband's arms began swelling on January 4th, and he was admitted to hospital when his condition deteriorated.
Life-Rosepark Hospital spokeswoman Esmarie Cronje said Marx's condition was critical but stable, and that he had been put on a ventilator. - Sapa