Department ponders Cosas pupil’s fate
Politics / 17 Jan '13, 2:41pm
Johannesburg - A demand by Cosas that a Grade 11 pupil in Soweto be promoted though he failed is being dealt with, the Gauteng education department said on Thursday.
“The team from head office is working with the district to resolve this matter,” said spokesman Charles Phahlane.
“The department is talking to the parents of the grade 11 learner about his results.”
Phahlane said teaching at Morris Isaacson High School, where the Congress of SA Students member was a pupil, had not been disrupted as reported.
“Schooling is taking place as usual today (Thursday),” he said.
Earlier in the day, The Star said members of Cosas were disrupting schooling over the issue.
The pupil concerned is a member of the pupil representative council.
According to the newspaper, classes have been disrupted regularly since schools opened last week Wednesday.
Cosas president Collen Malatji, said the organisation was aware of what was happening, but could not comment on the matter as he was waiting a full report from the provincial branch.
“We've set up a team to investigate the matter... As students, we can't support any disruption to teaching and learning,” Malatji told the newspaper. - Sapa