ANC will re-do processes
Politics / 19 Nov '12, 7:16pm
Johannesburg - The ANC's national executive committee will implement all recommendations made by a task team that probed list irregularities during the local government elections, Secretary General Gwede Mantashe said on Monday.
“Specific recommendations will be handed over to the new NEC for implementation, including cases where the task team recommends that ANC process be redone... and the councillor be recalled and by-elections be re-done,” Mantashe told reporters in Johannesburg.
African National Congress secretary general Gwede Mantashe. Credit: SAPA
“Also a recommendation by the committee that those who manipulated the list processes be brought before ANC disciplinary structures, will also be taken forward by the new NEC.”
Mantashe said it would not be right to do the recalls just before the African National Congress' national elective conference in Mangaung in December.
Before last year's May 18 local government elections, the ANC announced a new process allowing communities to select their candidates. There were several protests around the country when popular candidates were removed from the candidate lists.
The task team, headed by now African Union commission chair Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, handed its report to the NEC during its meeting at the weekend.
This was the last meeting of the NEC which was elected in 2007.
Mantashe said the team investigated 419 wards where there had been complaints.
This was only 10 percent of the party's wards.
“This confirms that a majority... of the ANC adhered to the guidelines of the ANC and conducted themselves in accordance with ANC dictates and guidelines,” Mantashe said. - Sapa